Sunday, June 26, 2011

SPECIAL ENCORE FOR A SPECIAL PRIDE DAY: The Lionesses Rule The Pride

Posted while Florence was declining, I was in touch with the woman she had been in love with, involved with and in war with since they were teenagers. Today, with gay marriage now legalized, I wonder what their life would have been like if only the world had loved their love as they had.

**


1982
All the other gay seniors rode. In the convertible, on the bus, in wheelchairs.

But not Florence.

She walked.

She was in her 60s. She had waited her entire life to walk down a street as who she really was. And she wasn't going to give up that walk for anybody or anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just can't imagine how hard it must be to hide who you truly are. She must have felt so free that day.

c.o. moed said...

thank you so much, my baby john, for such a dear comment.

It was an extraordinary experience witnessing my mother become herself in a profound way. And now I want that for all of us - regardless of what that means - to reclaim our dreams and our desires.