Sunday, June 28, 2015

THE LIONESSES RULE THE PRIDE
AND MARRY IF THEY WANNA...


This piece first posted in 2008, while Florence was declining, I was in touch with the woman she had been in love with, involved with and in war with since they were teenagers. 

Today the highest court of our country has recognized gay marriage as a right, making gay marriage, well, just marriage marriage.  

As I have in the past, I wonder what my mom and her lover's life would have been like if only the world had loved their love as they had.  

And knowing Florence more and more as I enter the ages she began to set herself free, I wonder if, in fact, she would have even gotten married.

How wonderful to think that if she had been alive and well today she could say "I do" or "I don't" just like everyone else.

** 

THE LIONESSES RULE THE PRIDE

 Florence walking in the Gay Pride March





















1982
All the other gay seniors rode.

In the convertible, on the bus, in wheelchairs.

But not Florence.

She walked.

She was in her 60s. She had waited her entire life to walk down a street as who she really was. And she wasn't going to give up that walk for anybody or anything.

No comments: