I think that boyfriend in 1977 was complimenting me when he called me that.
But here are the things that are normal:
- knowing which door to stand at so I could walk straight out to the street
- the many ways to get from point A to point B, and if I didn't know, calling Baby Boy (until he was eight years old and got bored with it), because he knew the entire MTA system - buses and subways and could map you from anywhere to anywhere, usually in multiple routes.
- riding without holding on because it was too crowded and the pole was too far away, not realizing until recently that it was just like surfing, just without the cold water or the sharks
- hanging out in between cars in the summer because the Lexington IRT never had any air conditioning in the summer, only in the winter, and it had air conditioning in the winter because it never had heat in the winter (that was the 70's and 80's)
- walking from one car to another, and when the young kid cop stopped me and said "hey that's against the law - didn't you see the sign?" I said, "Oh? I thought that was just for the tourists."
- NOT knowing which damn color goes with which line. They're called the BMT, IND and IRT for fucks sake.
Blood On The Tracks
A Day In The Life...
Sunday Memories - One of the Happiest Days of My Life
Sunday Memories - Baby Boy Tadpole and Other Snapshots from Deep Waters